RE: An explanation of the technical difficulties surrounding Alan Rector's comment

Ah, well... :)

I can see from Boris' answer that he seems to be in favor of simply going on with the current situation (where only URIs are allowed to occur in annotation statements). So no change here, and therefore nothing that could have any effect on anything.

And Alan's primary suggestion seems to be to simply define names for class expressions by stating equivalence axioms. This also doesn't change anything, because that's possible with in the current situation, anyway. It's just a pragmatic approach.

Alan's additional idea with the bNode would be, from an OWL 2 Full perspective, also no big deal, because from

  AnnotationAssertion(my:anProp my:entity)

follows

  AnnotationAssertion(my:anProp _:x)

under the OWL 2 Full semantics. And explicitly using bNodes instead of URIs cannot be disallowed in OWL Full, anyway.

So I cannot see any immediate dangers for OWL 2 Full arising from the (very conservative) suggestions that have been proposed so far.

But, perhaps, let me say a word about Alan's bNode proposal. I think that the pragmatic approach to introduce URIs by equivalent axioms is already sufficient. I don't see a need for changing the language. One can (outside the standard!) come up with naming schemes for this sort of approach, so the additional names won't annoy too much. Modeling tools can directly support this by allowing the author of an ontology to actually annotate class expressions (without explicitly adding an equivalence axiom), and behind the scenes a new name is created by the modeling tool for this. As long as you do not read the ontology source code, you won't be bothered by these technical names. (And if you do, the technical URIs probably aren't more bothersome than additional bNodes.)

So here are my 2 cents: I am in favor of keeping things as they are, and to point Alan Rector to the existing possibility to introduce names for class expressions.

I know that it is, in general, nice to have "anonymous complex expressions" in languages, such as anonymous classes in Java or lambda expressions (unnamed function definitions) in functional languages. And as long as the introduction of such a feature to a language is largely for free, I'm fine with introducing it. But, apparently, the annotation of complex class expressions wouldn't be for free in OWL 2, but would lead to problems, as Boris pointed out. And since we have a perfectly working (and not too inconvenient, IMO) option, I see no reason why not to apply this option instead.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi Studer