Re: ISSUE-125 (min1some): Min 1 QCR = someValuesFrom - Serialize as someValuesFrom?

Hi,

I suppose, the least we could do is add a short description of some of
these equivalencies to the Primer. For instance at [1] to mention the
equivalence between minCardinality and someValuesFrom. And at [2] to
say something about equivalentTo vs. subClassOf. Conversely, some
notions seem intuitively equivalent, but are not, such as functional
properties and exactly 1 cardinality restrictions.

-Rinke

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Primer#Adescriptionobjectpropertymincardinality
[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Primer#Aclassequivalentto2way

On 20 mei 2008, at 22:00, Michael Schneider wrote:

> I strongly concur with Bijan's points, and want to add a few more.
>
> First, I have to apologize to discuss this topic while the issue is
> still in
> "raised" state. But I cannot attend tomorrow's telco (travelling to
> Romania),
> so I am going to say, what I would say there, here.
>
> It is intended that OWL provides different ways to express
> semantically
> equivalent things, because OWL is not only a reasoning formalism,
> but also a
> modeling language. That's why we now have owl:disjointUnion, which
> gives
> additional modeling power to OWL 2 in exchange for forward-
> compatibility, and
> without enhancing the semantic expressivity of the language.
>
> OWL 1, btw., also contains a lot of syntactic sugar:
> owl:equivalentClass can
> be substituted by two rdfs:subClassOf axioms, which would bring
> certain OWL 1
> ontologies nearer to RDFS. Or there is owl:AllDifferent, or HasValue
> restrictions. Even owl:sameAs can be expressed by means of a nominal-
> based
> class assertions.
>
> For the case of >=1-QCRs vs. SomeValues-restrictions: These are pretty
> different modeling tools, which just happen to be equivalent
> technically. For
> example, it might make sense, from a modeling perspective, to
> explicitly
> express [1..*] relationships between two classes, or even [0..*]
> relationships, although the latter would be redundant technically.
> Making
> these features illegal in OWL, and demanding to circumscribe them in a
> technically equivalent way, would not be what I want in such a case.
> Actually,
> this would be the situation of pre-OWL-2, where it was well known
> how to
> circumscribe QCRs. But people asked for QCRs often enough, anyway,
> probably
> not without a reason.
>
> Even worse than disallowing >={0|1)-QCRs would it be to demand from
> the OWL
> tools do the transformation themselves. I just try to compare this
> with the
> strange situation where my Java programming IDE would rewrite all my
> generics,
> autoboxing, non-indexed loops, and all the other stuff which does
> not go into
> the bytecode eventually, just in order to make it more Java-1.0
> compatible. I
> would certainly not use this IDE ever again. :) And then I try to
> imagine
> Topbraid Composer, which would have to serialize my >=1-QCR silently
> into a
> SomeValues-restriction. I expect this would probably lead to a lot
> of traffic
> in Holger's mailing list... :-/

> [...]

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands