Re: nonmon mapping and punning

On Mar 4, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:

> [related to ISSUE-68]
[snip]
> I don't think that Jeremy really meant that it is technically
> impossible,
> but more that it doesn't match the general concepts behind Jena,
> which is an
> RDF framework after all.
[snip]

Which has specific support for specifically this sort of feature.
This is the part I don't understand.

[snip]

Michael...I'm sorry, but I don't quite see what all that had to do
with the reactive event framework. In particular, I don't quite see
why you detoured into the "OWL View" part of Jena.

Afaict, Jena has specific support which makes it quite easy to delete
some other triples when you add a triple. I point to it again:
	http://jena.sourceforge.net/how-to/event-handler.html

So, I fail to see how the non-monotonicity of the mapping is a deep
problem for Jena or that Jena, in principle and by design, lacks the
facilities to handle this. Note that since Jena has add and delete
operations, even without this sort of event listeners, it would be
*technically* possible, perhaps straightforward in the naive case, to
handle the non-monotonicity of the mapping at the parser level. The
unpleasant bit there is that one would have to use a shadowed or
variant add statement. With event support, you don't have to do that.

(I'm not arguing pro or con the way the mapping is right now, I'm
merely trying to figure out the impact on implementations.)