Re: nonmon mapping and punning

TBC uses Jena for all its i/o to filesystems: it only 'understands'
RDF/OWL files and does not load OWL/XML or OWL FS files.

-Rinke

On 4 mrt 2008, at 13:54, Michael Schneider wrote:

> Hi Bijan!
>
>> (I also want to point out that TopBraid Composer is Jena based and
>> claims OWL 1.1 support as of the Submission, I believe. Holger, the
>> TPC author, talks a lot about using triple oriented toolkits with OWL
>> and didn't mention this part of the mapping as a problem, IIRC
>> (pointers to places where he did are welcome). I take that as a weak,
>> defeasible existence proof that the mapping isn't radically at odds
>> with Jena.)
>
> First, I don't believe that TBC deals with the conditional
> definitions in the FS-2-RDF mapping, i.e. the question on which
> condition which RDF syntax is produced from a given Functional
> Syntax expression. Being an RDF based tool, TBC does not have to
> care about the Functional Syntax at all, but simply needs to wait
> for the resulting RDF documents as its input.
>
> Further, I don't know whether Jeremy's problem is an actual usecase
> for TBC. Jeremy talked in [1] about two RDF graphs which get merged.
> My example in [2] with imports is basically the same, *under the
> condition* that the imported ontologies get merged into a single
> ontology. AFAIK, TBC doesn't merge imported ontologies [FIXME!]. And
> off the top of my head, I don't know about any other usecase for
> merging of RDF graphs in TBC.
>
> But even if there are cases in which TBC merges RDF graphs, then TBC
> would probably do the right thing from an /RDF/ point of view. For
> example, from an RDF pov there is nothing wrong with the resulting
> RDF graph in my example [2]. The problem is rather that for such a
> merged RDF graph there might be no possible mapping to Functional
> Syntax. This, of course, means that the resulting RDF graph is not a
> valid OWL-1.1-DL ontology. I don't know whether TBC takes this into
> account, but I have my doubts.
>
> For the question on punning: I could find a single thread in the TBC
> mailing list on punning [3]. Holger says:
>
>  I am not sure how the OWL 1.1 notion of punning is different
>  from having multiple rdf:type triples in OWL Full.
>  [...]
>  What the inference tools do with this information is
>  another question that you will need to try out.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Bijan.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> [1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Jan/0277.html
> >
> [2] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Feb/0168.html
> >
> [3] <http://groups.google.com/group/topbraid-composer-users/browse_thread/thread/10676ee07b215c3d/009886b3cb38cbac
> >

> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik Karlsruhe
> Abtl. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de
> Web  : http://www.fzi.de/ipe/eng/mitarbeiter.php?id=555

> [...]

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands