RE: ISSUE-68 (was Re: nonmon mapping and punning)

Hi Peter!

Thanks for your mail. I now see that I really did not understand Jeremy's concern w.r.t. ISSUE-68 in the last telco.

When I correctly understand Jeremy, then the following variant of your example comes a bit closer to what Jeremy writes in his cited mail below.

In OWL-1.1-DL / Functional Syntax:

  * O1 has an object property p and a class c = objectatmost 5 p

  * O2 has a data property p and a class c = dataatmost 5 p

  * O3 imports O1 and O2

Mapping these three ontologies to RDF leads to:

  T(O1) = {
    p rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .
    c rdf:type owl:Class .
    c owl:equivalentClass _:r1 .
    _:r1 rdf:type owl:Restriction .
    _:r1 owl:onProperty p .
    _:r1 owl:maxCardinality "5"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger .
  }

  T(O2) = {
    p rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .
    c rdf:type owl:Class .
    c owl:equivalentClass _:r2 .
    _:r2 rdf:type owl:Restriction .
    _:r2 owl:onProperty p .
    _:r2 owl:maxCardinality "5"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger .
  }

  T(O3) = {
    [] owl:import T(O1) .
    [] owl:import T(O2) .
  }

If T(O3) is read into a Jena OntModel (current version, not OWL-1.1 aware), and it is afterwards serialized back into a single RDF file, I think we receive the following:

  T(O*) = {
    p rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .
    p rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .

    c rdf:type owl:Class .

    c owl:equivalentClass _:r1 .
    _:r1 rdf:type owl:Restriction .
    _:r1 owl:onProperty p .
    _:r1 owl:maxCardinality "5"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger .

    c owl:equivalentClass _:r2 .
    _:r2 rdf:type owl:Restriction .
    _:r2 owl:onProperty p .
    _:r2 owl:maxCardinality "5"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger .
  }

AFAICS, The problem is now that the RDF graph T(O*) cannot be mapped back to Functional Syntax. There are /two/ different typing axioms for p, leading to OnlyOP(p) = false, and OnlyDP(p) = false. When I correctly understand the RDF-to-Func mapping described in [10], none of the mapping rules in table 6 can be applied.

So, in the case that it is desirable to make an RDF-merged ontology mappable to Functional Syntax, Jena will have to perform the necessary changes to the RDF graph, or to the original set of RDF graphs.

@Jeremy: Is it this what you mean?

[10] <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Mapping_to_RDF_Graphs#Translation_from_RDF_Graphs_to_Functional-Style_Syntax>

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe