Re: Issue-114

On Jun 30, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2008, at 6:59 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> After discussion with Michael, we agreed to narrow this issue as
>> follows: We propose that the only punning in OWL is against
>> individuals - that is, anything named in OWL can have an
>> individual with the same (punned name).
>>
>> This corresponds to what I believe is the commonly requested case,
>> and simplifies the current situation in which we have narrow
>> restrictions on certain forms of punning - no object/data property
>> punning, no class/datatype punning.
>
> This is a very tendentious reading of "simplifies". It's just as
> sensible, if not more so, to say that this *complicates* the
> picture because it unmotivatedly adds restrictions that are not
> necessary by any standard. The simplest would be pun everything or
> pun nothing. In practice, punning more seems to be less of a burden
> than punning less.

There are two points of view on this (at least). One relates to the
complexity of users understanding the implications of punning. I will
argue that punning individuals to anything is natural and easy to
understand, which other forms of punning are not. I don't find it
compelling to cite OWL full as a way of understanding property/class
punning - In general we have found OWL Full to have confusing
semantics, and I have understood one of the design ethics of OWL DL
that things be clearer.

Also, the "simple case" pun anything, is out because of the
aforementioned exclusions. I don't have confidence that we won't
accumulate further exclusions over time. So the comparision I see (at
the moment) "Everything can be punned to an individua"l versus "Most
things can be punned except the different property types and
classes / data ranges" (my mistake in earlier message saying datatype).

The restrictions I'm reading from the RDF mapping: