Re: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:31:31 +0100
Cc: "Boris Motik" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

On Jul 11, 2008, at 2:28 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Boris Motik wrote:
>
>> "The rules from Section 4.3 can be applied to arbitrary RDF
>> graphs, in which case the produced consequences are sound but not
>> necessarily complete."
>
> One thing to consider with this last bit, is that there is
> issue-117 and discussion at the F2F had leaned towards saying that
> non-entailments in OWL-R would not be sanctioned. Thus "complete"
> would need to be qualified - the entailments might be complete in
> the sense that no others are sanctions, but incomplete with respect
> to a more expressive language.

Just for the record, at the time, I understood that discussion *not*
to be about additional RDF graphs, but to be about some entailments
wrt the syntactic fragment...that is, as strictly analogous to the
situation with, e.g., the treatment of finite owl:Things in DL vs.
OWL Full, *NOT* as about arbitrary other graphs.

Perhaps I was the only one, but I certainly would have been, er, more
"vigorous" in the discussion in my inimitable way if I had understood
it to be going along these lines.

I don't see the problem with saying that a rule engine with the OWL-R
rules is a sound but incomplete OWL Full engine (just as an OWL DL
reasoner is a sound but incomplete (we think) OWL Full engine)) and a
sound and complete OWL-R engine. That seems to cover the situation
exactly, using standard lingo, and understandably.