Re: Action-67 some examples on b-nodes issues and their impact on users

Jeff Z. Pan wrote:
> Ivan,
>>
>> thanks a lot. These types of down-to-Earth examples help me at least
>> (modulo Peter's comment that I still have to digest:-).
>>
>> In trying to grasp and understand the consequences of the 'existential
>> vs. skolem' proposal/discussion, I must admit that I found some gaps
>> in my own understanding. I have therefore some questions; if you,
>> Boris, Bijan, Jeremy, or the others could answer those it would help
>> me at least....
>>
>> 1. Scope of skolemization
>>
>> I am not sure I fully understand the proposal in terms of the 'skope'
>> of the skolemization. By that I mean: what are the 'units' (I do not
>> know how to call this) within which two 'identical' blank nodes are
>> skolemized with the same new URI? For OWL:

If I have two statement _somewhere_

SubClass(A _:x)

and

SubClass(B _:x)

under exactly what circumstances can I be assured that, during
skolemization, the _:x symbol mapped on the same Skolem constant? Should
these two statements be in the same ontology? The same file? The same ???.

I am not saying these are _very_ complex questions but they have to be
specified and are not clear to me.

> I am not sure if I get the question.
>
>>  - are we speaking about an 'ontology' as being one 'unit'? Or are the
>> ABox and TBox separated in this sense? I heard different remarks used
>> on the calls, that is why I ask (I may have misunderstood something).
>
> In general, axiom is the unit of ontology.  An ABox is a set of
> individual axioms, while a TBox is a set of class/property axioms. Given
> an ontology O and its ABox A and its TBox T, O is the union of A and T.

Jeff, I know that. However: if, within the same ontology, I have

SubClass(_:x B)

and

ClassAssertion( y _:x)

is it so defined that the _:x symbol is mapped on the same skolem
constant or not? Or are the Abox and Tbox treated separately. Again: I
may have misunderstood some remark on the call, I just wanted to have a
clear picture.

>>  - how does this affect the import mechanism? Is skolemization done
>> after or before all imports? (I would expect 'after', but I just
>> wanted to be sure...)
>>
> After, so to speak.
>
>>  - I expect that the 'left' side and the 'right' side of an inference
>> are skolemized separately (this is what one of Jeremy's test case
>> says), but I also heard remarks on the call that only the left side is
>> skolemized and the right side isn't... Or, again, did I misunderstand
>> something?
>
> Could you point out which test case from Jeremy that you refer to?

See

http://www.w3.org/mid/478DF5F9.8050400@hpl.hp.com

test #5. Bijan's answer

http://www.w3.org/mid/C82B011B-E528-4AA7-8505-25172C9C2143@cs.man.ac.uk

seems to suggest that this is not 100% clear (or not 100% decided...)

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/