Re: Action-67 some examples on b-nodes issues and their impact on users

Ivan,

> thanks a lot. These types of down-to-Earth examples help me at least
> (modulo Peter's comment that I still have to digest:-).
>
> In trying to grasp and understand the consequences of the 'existential
> vs. skolem' proposal/discussion, I must admit that I found some gaps
> in my own understanding. I have therefore some questions; if you,
> Boris, Bijan, Jeremy, or the others could answer those it would help
> me at least....
>
> 1. Scope of skolemization
>
> I am not sure I fully understand the proposal in terms of the 'skope'
> of the skolemization. By that I mean: what are the 'units' (I do not
> know how to call this) within which two 'identical' blank nodes are
> skolemized with the same new URI? For OWL:

I am not sure if I get the question.

>  - are we speaking about an 'ontology' as being one 'unit'? Or are the
> ABox and TBox separated in this sense? I heard different remarks used
> on the calls, that is why I ask (I may have misunderstood something).

In general, axiom is the unit of ontology.  An ABox is a set of
individual axioms, while a TBox is a set of class/property axioms. Given
an ontology O and its ABox A and its TBox T, O is the union of A and T.

>  - how does this affect the import mechanism? Is skolemization done
> after or before all imports? (I would expect 'after', but I just
> wanted to be sure...)

After, so to speak.

>  - I expect that the 'left' side and the 'right' side of an inference
> are skolemized separately (this is what one of Jeremy's test case
> says), but I also heard remarks on the call that only the left side is
> skolemized and the right side isn't... Or, again, did I misunderstand
> something?

Could you point out which test case from Jeremy that you refer to?

Jeff

P.S. I assume that the following questions are extensively discussed
already.