Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-69

There are at least two incompatibilities of concern:

- user expectation
- requirement that implementations have equivocal URIs

On user expectation - the current situation is that users are taught
that each URI means one thing. In the DL world, it has to be one of the
different major classes. In the Full world, it can have multiple
expressions - but it is still a single unified concept, and, for
example, test cases in the classes-as-instances paradigm demonstrate
this univocality.

In the post OWL 1.1 world, users taught in the DL paradigm will learn
scoping rules - the scope of a name depends on its context of use -
which simply do not hold in the RDF compatible view. In fact, many
proponents of the RDF compatible view, and much of the software
available, is built on architectural principles that insist that the DL
scoping rules are simply wrong (personally I don't much like that
architectural principle, but still).
Having learnt these rules it will be harder for the users to migrate
from DL systems, to RDF compatible systems, and so a key part of
interoperability - the lack of lock-in - is lost.

On implementation, currently within a triple based system, such as Jena,
it is possible to work fairly successfully with DL ontologies. This
occurs both in obvious interoperation such as the Jena & Pellet
combination, and also by using Jena rules - which, while weaker than a
DL reasoner - can have specific additional rules added to cope with the
needs of specific ontologies etc.

If correct reasoning over a DL ontology will require that say, the
individual and class corresponding to http://example.org/car behave as
separate objects, then the Jena implementation, which as a single object
corresponding to each URI will be inadequate and require extensive
change. This change becomes all the wrose since the full semantics still
treats both the class and the individual as a single thing.

Jeremy