Re: Primer review, part 1 Introduction, Orientation sections

yes, but remember this is a W3C working group - and thus the
ownership and stability issues are very important - but, for
example,  most of the other W3C members have had no input into the
design of Man Syn - on the other hand, RDF/XML and now Turtle have
gone through processes with open comments and significant buy-in - so
AC members cannot complain about us using them.  Just as an example,
I can't find a copyright statement in any of the documents -- so if
someone cuts and pastes from our documents, they don't know what the
legal status is (from the others, they will be bounc by W3C rules) -
or if someone at Manchester decides to change the definition
document, who gets to comment?
  If we were in a different, more researchy context (where, frankly,
I wish a lot of this work was) I would have no problem with it - but
we're not, and thus I take my AC role very seriously
  -Jim Hendler
   AC Rep, RPI

p.s. Some of you might note that sometimes I include that "AC rep"
thing and sometimes not - again, I try to differentiate when I'm
speaking for myself, and when I'm speaking for an organization that
pays to be a member of the W3C.

On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> So some sense of how much more text you think is reasonable for
>>> these intro sections would be good.
>>>
>>> Also, I think scattering some "NOTE FOR RDFERS: You can see blah
>>> balh balh" through the example discussion could be more helpful
>>> than adding a lot more upfront discussion.
>>> [snip]

>>> I'm not sure foregrounding this in this way is all that helpful.
>>> I'd rather talk about "yes and no" answers along the way. I mean,
>>> variable free syntax is an important design consideration as well
>>> historically, but I don't see it's good to *foreground* that.
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> This would seem to be a very much minority view.

>>> Well, the point is for both XML and OOP sections are to say,
>>> roughly, Yes we have classes and objects, but don't rely on your
>>> understanding from other class/object pardigms. Actually, I think
>>> it's less important to say *what* the differences are than to
>>> make clear that there *are* radical differences. I.e., to "set
>>> the frame". If we say, "Whoa they are radically different" and
>>> the person doesn't get how, they are in a much better position to
>>> ask questions than if we *don't* say that they are radically
>>> different and they don't think to ask certain questions.
>>>
>>> In other words, I'd prefer that the fallback mode, in general, be
>>> "self aware" confusion than "unknowing misunderstanding".
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Again, this is not a particularly standard view. Canonically,
>>> relational dbs make the CWA and NAF. Consider how aggregation works.

>>> It's not clear to me that we should call this out as such, esp.
>>> up front. I'd rather have a discussion at the QCRs.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Some of these are features of *systems* not the modeling
>>> formalism. It'll probably help to make that distinction a bit,
>>> though again, I'd prefer to be a bit subtler. Discussing ER
>>> diagrams might be more useful.
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> I intend to stress the "Template" vs. "description" perspectives
>>> (plus the lack of behavior). This will need to be synched more
>>> with the XML and RDBMS discussions. The RDF discussion perhaps
>>> should come last.
>>>
>>> In my discussions from people coming from XML/OOPy background,
>>> this has been the most helpful for them.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bijan.
>>>

>> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
>> would it?." - Albert Einstein
>>
>> Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
>> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
>> Computer Science Dept
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180

> Drs. Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
> Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
> Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke
>
> Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
> University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
> 1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

it?." - Albert Einstein