Re: Proposal and Test cases

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Proposal and Test cases (Re: skolems: visible differences?)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:55:12 +0000

> Thanks
>
> so entailment with existential semantics is undecidable.
>
> I don't see this as a problem if we do not specify a conformance label
> for entailment.

Say again?

That seems to me to be equivalent to saying that the
decidability/implementability of consistency checking is not a problem
if we don't specify a conformance label for consistency checking, or
that the well-formedness of the syntax is not a problem if we don't
specify a conformance label for syntax checking.   I suppose that
somehow the spec would be internally consistent in this case, but I
don't think that it would be a good idea.

[To inject a bit of US politics, this would be like having judges
elected using a system that requires bribery.  As Thurgood Marshall
might have written: "The W3C does not prohibit working groups from
preparing stupid recommendations."]

In any case, I would vote very strongly against not providing a
"conformance label" for entailment checking for OWL 1.1 DL.