Re: Fragments

Dear all,

I would also be willing to be on such a task force. On the other
hand, I have serious doubts that it is a good idea to form a general
subgroup on fragments. In my view, fragments are an integral and
important part of the upcoming 1.1 spec. So if the WG decides to put
fragments on rec, it cannot just delegate the whole issue to a
subgroup.

On the other hand, the WG should maybe not be bothered with all the
gory details of every single fragment. It thus makes perfect sense to
install task forces for specific fragments. In particular, a task
force working on OWL Prime seems to be badly needed since many WG
members seem to only have a vague idea of what exactly OWL prime is
going to be. Similarly, DL Lite needs a task force to figure out which
version exactly we want to have, and even EL++ needs some final
polishing (but I am not sure that we really need a task force there).

I would like to reiterate my point that we should invest efforts
to properly understand each fragment that we make rec. This does not
mean carrying out difficult research within the WG or a task force,
but the least it means is to check all expressive means in OWL 1.1
as to whether or not they can *easily* be included in a fragment
without destroying its good behaviour. If there are no people willing
to do this for a particular fragment, I'd take that as an indication
that it does not have sufficient support to become rec.

greetings,
 		Carsten

--
*      Carsten Lutz, Institut f"ur Theoretische Informatik, TU Dresden       *
*     Office phone:++49 351 46339171   mailto:lutz@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de     *