RE: [ACTION-78] What it means to define OWL-1.1-Full as a "delta" to OWL-1.0-Full

Hi Alan!

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>
>This is a nice explanation - I've added it to http://www.w3.org/2007/
>OWL/wiki/Different_Kinds_Of_Semantics

Thanks!

>I'll make a minor comment - the language of if/then rules and firing,
>evokes the idea that the semantic conditions can be implemented by a
>rule engine - but the conditions, such as "ICEXT(x), is a subset of
>ICEXT(y)" are not the usual sorts of consequents one sees in such
>systems - so the analogy might confusing a bit, in addition to the
>benefit it brings in helping explain how the conditions work.

Feel free to make this comment! It's true that not all semantic conditions
"encode" rules.

AFAICT, this can be compared to some degree with the semantics of OWL-DL:

   Axiom            | Condition
   --------------------------------
   SubClassOf(C D)  | C^Ic SUBSET D^Ic

It looks to me that this is not so much different from an OWL-Full semantic
condition (IFF condition), approximately:

   IFF
       I( SubClassOf(C D) ) = true  # "I(.)" is interpretation function
   THEN
       I(C), I(D) in I(owl:Class)
     AND
       I(C) subset I(D)

And, in fact, there shouldn't be a big difference, since both semantics are
model-theoretic. The difference is more in "architecture" ("layered" or
"accumulative" for Full, vs. "direct" for DL). And of course the semantics
themself are different, because Full semantics has all the RDFS semantics
with it.

Btw.: I found out in the meanwhile that the very last statement I made in my
example is wrong: One get's the transitive triple with "if-then" RDFS
semantics, too, i.e. one does not need OWL-Full's iff-semantics for this.
But this is IMHO a minor bug. :)

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe