Re: ACTION-203 done (resolution of ISSUE-118 - semantics of anonymous individuals)

On Aug 28, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Boris Motik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> They could; however, the existing way of handling things is
> deliberate, as it makes the structural specification more uniform.

Uniform in what way? I would think that having global restrictions be
truly global would be a clearer benefit if sensibility of the spec is
a desirable.

> Furthermore, as already discussed, there is no observable
> difference between the Skolem semantics and the existential one for
> all
> inference problems apart from certain entailments, which DL users
> are typically not interested in anyway. In such cases, without
> changing the set of "interesting" consequences, one can skolemize
> the anonymous individuals; but then, one can freely drop the
> global restrictions altogether without funning into decidability
> problems. The way resolution of ISSUE-118 has been implemented
> allows precisely for that: a tool can simply forget about Global
> Restrictions 4 and 5 and obtain a language that can be interpreted
> under the Skolem semantics for all practical intents and purposes.

Yes, but what language would that be? Why would we want to enable
that? Skolem semantics isn't an option we support in any of our
profiles.

-Alan