Re: proposal to close ISSUE-137 (rdfstypesbackward): Table 4 in RDF mapping introduces incompatibility with OWL 1

On Aug 22, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: proposal to close ISSUE-137 (rdfstypesbackward): Table
> 4 in RDF mapping introduces incompatibility with OWL 1
> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:19:18 -0400
>

>> On Aug 22, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

>>> I don't understand what you want to do.
>>>
>>> Do you want to say that ex:ontology is a valid OWL 2 DL
>>> ontology?  It
>>> isn't, and it isn't a valid OWL 1 DL ontology in RDF graph form
>>> either, so there is no backward compatibility issue.
>>
>> I want to know if an OWL tool that implements the specification will
>> load ex:cleanup, and therefore ex:ontology, will result in an OWL
>> 2 DL
>> ontology or not (e.g. by there being an issue with syntax).
>
> That depends on the tool, I would think.  Would you want an OWL RL
> tool
> to produce an OWL 2 DL ontology?

That isn't the question I asked. The point of my question and the
specification is that the answer to the question I asked not depend
on the tools.

>> In OWL 1, the triples that formed the import closure
>>
>> ex:foo rdf:type rdf:Property
>> ex:subject ex:foo ex:object
>> ex:foo rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty
>> ex:cleanup rdf:type owl:Ontology
>> ex:cleanup owl:imports ex:ontology
>>
>> would be a valid OWL 1 DL ontology in RDF graph form
>
> Actually this is *not* a valid OWL 1 ontology in RDF graph form.
> It is
> missing typing for ex:ontology, at least, as well as typing for
> ex:subject and ex:object.

Yes. I omitted them because they were not germane to the issue, but
you are correct in pointing this out.
However, the question still remains for OWL 2.

(actually - have to check about the case of ex:ontology typing in OWL
1, but again, that's aside from the point)