Re: ISSUE-111 Proposal to Resolve

What was being suggested was only to offer the advice/observation
that including a triple that pushes an ontology outside DL would be
one way for a user to signal their intention that the ontology be
interpreted using Full semantics even if it is otherwise
syntactically DL. Of course tools would still be free to ignore this
and apply "repairs".

Given that we are only proposing to offer advice/observation, I don't
think that we should insist on a specific triple -- I would worry
that this would be interpreted as saying that tools should/must check
for this triple and behave accordingly. Better, I think, to stick
with the same kind of informal advice but to augment it with the
observation that it is advisable to use a triple such as sameAs
sameAs sameAs that is unlikely to arise by accident or be "repaired"
by tools. Given that we all agree that what we are discussing here is
very much a corner case, I hope that this will be acceptable to all
concerned and that we don't need to spend more time on this issue.

So, in the light of our discussion, the revised proposal to resolve
would be as follows:

As per discussions and strawpolls at the Boston F2F [1], the 6th
August telecon [2], and in email [3], I propose that we close this
issue by adding to the spec the following advice/observation:

Note that users wanting to signal their intention that an ontology be
interpreted by tools using the OWL RDF semantics can do so by adding
a triple that takes the ontology out of OWL DL but does not otherwise
affect its meaning. It is advisable to use a triple that is unlikely
to occur unintentionally, and so unlikely to be interpreted as an
error and "repaired" by tools. An example of such a triple is sameAs
sameAs sameAs .

Regards,
Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/meeting/
2008-07-28#Strawpoll_on_signaling_semantics
[2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/meeting/
2008-08-06#Strawpoll_on_resolving_issue__2d_111
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Aug/
0049.html and thread