Re: ACTION-178: What is ISSUE-116 (Axiomatic Triples for OWL R) about?

On Aug 12, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

>>> It's not an "execution semantics". Instead, there has to *exist*
>>> a finite
>>> sequence of rule applications, which leads from the LHS to the
>>> RHS (or an
>>> upper graph of the RHS).
>> OK. I'm then confused by Ian's comment about generating infinite
>> numbers of triples:
>
> But his comment _was_ justified. In
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#RDFINTERP
>
> the number of axiomatic triples is infinite indeed, due to the
> rdf:_i terms. Herman ter Horst's trick of keeping it finite for a
> specific graph tries to get around that problem and thereby making
> it possible to do, eg, a forward chaining on a specific graph (with
> the caveat that PFPS just referred to in another mail:-(

Yes, but my question to Michael was to this point.  From what he says
I don't see that the theoretical existence of an infinite number of
triples necessitates their materialization by forward chaining. There
are other methods of using rules.

-Alan