Re: ISSUE 131 (OWL R Unification): Different semantics on syntactic fragment

Ian Horrocks wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> I'm not sure what it means for an implementation to be "perfectly o.k."
> or "proper". According to what we discussed, implementations based on
> the OWL RL rules is that they are sound for OWL Full semantics and also
> complete for query answering (the key entailment in the kinds of
> application that motivate OWL R) for ontologies inside a given syntactic
> fragment. This was always clearly stated (see Section 4.4 of the
> existing spec).

As I said: my mistake not to have realized the full depth of that
statement. Thanks to Michael for clarifying it (at least for me).

[skip]
>          The only thing that I have heard against this are some
> strange arguments about OWL RL reasoners not being "competitive" with
> OWL DL/Full reasoners/semantics.

This was not my argument, or at least not the intention of it:-).

Referring to another mail of yours in the thread[1] I think we actually
agree on what you called there 'advantage' and 'disadvantage'. Yes,
keeping the rules separate has the 'advantage' that implementers of
those rules would be able to declare themselves sound and complete w.r.t
that semantics. However, we seem disagree on the relative
weight/importance of those advantages and disadvantages...

One way forward could be to formulate this question in precise manner
and ask the community, eg, potential RDF implementers and users both
within and outside the Working Group, to see how they would feel about
that 'advantage'/'disadvantage', whether that would be a major issue (I
am thinking about Oracle, HP, OpenLink, Franz Inc, and others that I
might very well forget in the implementation space, and there are a
number in the user space, too). We are actually talking about marketing
type of issues here and, let us face it, we are certainly not experts of
that... Such a feedback may help us in moving forward.

Ivan

[1]
http://www.w3.org/mid/59FCAB86-9A83-4435-A6CE-FB3DCCBFF887@comlab.ox.ac.uk