Re: ISSUE-111 Proposal to Resolve

Hi Jim,

During the call, our assumption was that this case would be extremely
rare, and thus doesn't warrant adding a new intendedUse/
intendedProfile ontology property. And regarding your point 1), we
expected the only people who wanted to use this to be DL-ies who
specifically wanted to signal the Fullness of the ontology. As you
say, someone more Full-minded will usually not consider the DL case,
and we neither intend to bother *all* Full users nor *all* DL users.
Just the crossover where someone who *cares* can signal Fullness.

-Rinke

On 8 aug 2008, at 18:33, Jim Hendler wrote:

> Having left the WG, I seem to still be being pulled in a lot by side
> emails, so let me state, as RPI AC rep, that we don't like this
> solution.  I see two problems
> 1 - it seems to us that people who use DL are more likely to
> understand the
> difference between DL and Full than those who are just using the
> vocabulary, so the chances of this triple being included seem very
> low - thus, we'd prefer to see someone who understands that they
> want to be only DL should have to do something to signal that
>
> 2 - by this decision, if a user accidently does something to make
> their ontology OWL Full, they will be signaling they only want to be
> in Full (since it says "should include a triple that takes the
> ontology out of OWL DL") -- if the meaning is that we want users to
> use only this specific triple, then it seems to me we should do
> something more obvious, like putting in some semantics free
> definition that expresses intent -- i.e. instead of "sameAs sameAs
> sameAs" wouldn't it be a lot smarter for the document to include "[]
> intendedUse OWL-Full"?
>
> In fact, given these two factors, it seems like we should either
> have explicit means for signaling semantics when intended, or no
> specified way, meaning tools have their choice.
>  -JH
> AC Rep, RPI
>

> On Aug 8, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>

>> As per discussions and strawpolls at the Boston F2F [1] and our
>> most recent telecon [2], I propose that we close this issue by
>> adding to the spec the advice that users wanting to ensure that
>> their ontology is interpreted *only* as OWL Full should include a
>> triple that takes the ontology out of OWL DL, namely:
>>
>> sameAs sameAs sameAs .
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ian
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/meeting/2008-07-28#Strawpoll_on_signaling_semantics
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/meeting/2008-08-06#Strawpoll_on_resolving_issue__2d_111
>>

> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
> would it?." - Albert Einstein
>
> Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
> Computer Science Dept
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands