Re: On adding easy keys and top/bottom to the spec.

On Mittwoch, 30. April 2008, Achille Fokoue wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was not able to attend last week's meeting where top/bottom properties
> and easy keys were discussed. According to Alan and the minutes of the
> meeting, there seems to be some consensus on adding them to the spec.
>
> On easy keys, we find them useful and indeed easy to implement using DL
> Safe rules. So I have no objections in adding them to the spec. In terms
> of impact to existing profiles, I assume they can be easily added to
> OWL-R, but should be excluded from DL Lite.   How about EL++?
>
> On top and bottom properties, I am not completely convinced by use cases
> given at [1]. Although use cases presented in Markus?s paper "All
> Elephants are bigger than all mice" are more compelling, they are use
> cases for concept product ? not universal property, which is just a
> special case of concept product.  I understand that they do not affect the
> worst case complexity of reasoning, but do we have any implementation
> experience about their practical impact?

It's true that concept (cross) products are a generalisation of the top
property (since TOP x TOP = TopProperty), but, on the other hand, the top
property can also be used to model concept products in a
not-quite-so-cumbersome way (so one can claim use cases carry over):

Elephant = EXISTS elephant.Self
Mouse = EXISTS mouse.Self
elephant o topProperty o mouse  SUBPROPERTYOF  biggerThan

(I really should learn that Manchester syntax instead of making my own each
time ...)

Not sure if the above works well with current reasoners (I suppose a reasoner
could be much more efficient in dealing with Elephant x Mouse -> biggerThan
directly). It also remains to be seen whether this will actually be a common
use case in practical OWL 2 ontologies. It's not an overly obvious modelling
pattern after all.

It should also be noted that the topProperty is often considered to be
non-simple, so that it cannot be used with cardinality constraints directly.
This should simplify the implementation. (I remark that this restriction is
probably not really necessary; I guess that concept products can be ignored
when considering restrictions like that of "simplicity" or "regularity" -- as
in the case of rules -- ISSUE 22 -- this is the reason why they are "not
quite" syntactic sugar only).

In any case, I think the explicit introduction of a name for the top property
also serves ontology engineering (I remember tool builders asking for a name
for the "top property" at some OWLED).

Regards

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe