Re: closing ISSUE-22 (special syntax for role rule)

On Mittwoch, 23. April 2008, Carsten Lutz wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
> > On 23 apr 2008, at 18:30, Markus Krötzsch wrote:
> >> I agree, but I think it is not quite so simple. The main issue here
> >> might be
> >> that, while many rules can be expressed in OWL2, some of these encodings
> >> would violate the structural restrictions without need. I suggest we
> >> consider
> >> at least some special cases of rules here to waive that restriction, and
> >> make
> >> room for future rule interfaces on top of OWL2. I agree that we should
> >> not make a new rule language (if anything, one would take OWL2 rules to
> >> RIF, I guess).
> >
> > Hi Markus,
> >
> > I guess I agree with you on this point... it would be a shame to have the
> > structural restrictions get in the way of something that *can* be
> > expressed without changing the semantics. Aren't we then just speccing an
> > ill-matched syntax?
> >
> > How big / numerous do you expect the special cases to be?
>
> To me, this sounds like opening Pandora's box. I guess there are loads
> of special cases that one could allow. Where to start and where to
> stop?  Moreover, people already find the non-structural restrictions
> awkward and difficult to understand. Now we want non-structural
> restrictions with (potentially a lot of) exceptions to them? <shiver>.

I agree. We should just be aware that there rules are not really expressible
in common applications now. So it is not strictly syntactic sugar. Anyway, we
have just agreed to *postpone* the issue to some later WG.

I also assume that the offending structural restrictions can be dropped
completely for most profiles where they are not required anyway, which still
leaves a lot of options for modelling rules.

> I like the work of Markus on rules, but I am sceptical to start poking
> holes into our non-structural restrictions. Too ad-hoc.

Sure, I did not mean to suggest that either. If anything, one might have
considered a special syntax for "guarded role inclusions" that avoids the
need of an artificial self-role. But less syntax is always good, too.

Best regards,

Markus