Re: closing ISSUE-22 (special syntax for role rule)

On 23 apr 2008, at 18:30, Markus Krötzsch wrote:
> I agree, but I think it is not quite so simple. The main issue here
> might be
> that, while many rules can be expressed in OWL2, some of these
> encodings
> would violate the structural restrictions without need. I suggest we
> consider
> at least some special cases of rules here to waive that restriction,
> and make
> room for future rule interfaces on top of OWL2. I agree that we
> should not
> make a new rule language (if anything, one would take OWL2 rules to
> RIF, I
> guess).

Hi Markus,

I guess I agree with you on this point... it would be a shame to have
the structural restrictions get in the way of something that *can* be
expressed without changing the semantics. Aren't we then just speccing
an ill-matched syntax?

How big / numerous do you expect the special cases to be?

-Rinke

> For people interested in a formal spec of a larger class of "OWL2
> rules", I
> point to the following works of ours on the topic:
>
> http://korrekt.org/page/SROIQ_rules
> http://korrekt.org/page/ELP
>
> The main work here is to show that one can use rules (hence many
> other OWL 2
> features) with our tractable profiles without hurting the polynomial
> reasoning. Moreover, there is also the Protege plugin by Francis
> Gasse (see
> OWLED-Washington papers, joint work with Volker Haarslev and Uli
> Sattler) to
> actually work with such rules -- maybe more concrete proposals could
> also
> emerge from that experience?
>
> Regards,
>
> Markus
>
> On Freitag, 18. April 2008, Michael Schneider wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> This has been an interesting exercise for me at that time, and
>> helped me to
>> better understand the power of sub property chains. It is nice to
>> see that
>> something like this can actually be expressed within OWL 2 DL. But
>> directly
>> supporting this as a feature in the OWL language itself would look
>> rather
>> strange to me.
>>
>> So I concur: +1 for REJECTING this issue.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands