Re: Query for import task force

On 7 Apr 2008, at 17:39, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 7 Apr 2008, at 17:30, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> There is an implementation in java: http://xml.apache.org/commons/
>> components/resolver/
>> What I don't know is whether there being a java implementation
>> would satisfy all reasoner developers - presumably there are non-
>> java reasoners.
> [snip]
>>> I also thought it looks heavier than might be desirable, from the
>>> point of view getting developer adoption. Perhaps a limited
>>> subset of it, or a minimal set of constructs with developers free
>>> to implement more?
>
> I guess my first question then is that if there is an existing
> standard (which might be subsetted or not) then perhaps there's
> nothing, at this time, for the working group to do.

[snip]

Er...the question version is that given existing standards that (seem
to) meet the need....why should we do anything at all. Kendall asked
this at the F2F as well.

Compare with using XInclude for imports. I would *love* if we could
outsource imports to that technology, but there are legacy reasons
(we already have owl imports) and technical reasons (I think using it
for rdf/xml may fail hard, not to mention non-xml formats). I still
think we'd be better off, assuming the viability of XInclude in
general, in using it, all other things being equal. Sometimes *best*
fit needs to yield to *reasonable* fit.