Re: ISSUE-65 (excess vocab): REPORTED: excessive duplication of vocabulary

Ian Horrocks wrote:
> I agree that the kind of example put forward by Jeremy

For the records: I put forward almost the same example independently of
Jeremy. Blame me, not him:-). We both happened to refer to an existing
community: the Dublin Core, more generally the library community.

>                                                         may be considered
> "bad modelling" -- it is surely not intended that a string is the
> creator of anything. What probably is intended is that the creator is
> some object (so dc:creator would be an object property), and that object
> may have a name (typically a string accessed via a datatype property).

Actually... Jeremy indeed referred to dc:creator, I referred to
dc:subject. The latter is a bit different: one can use a subject as a
simple string ("Computer Science") or refer to some sort of a formal
classification system of subjects defined, say, as a SKOS definition, in
which case the object for the dc:subject is a SKOS concept. I can see a
casual user of that property to switch between those two types of objects...

> I don't mean to imply that no "good" example exists,

I guess that is the important point. We should not go too deeply into
the particulars of DC.

>                                                       or that it is
> reasonable to ignore requirements deriving from what we believe to be
> misuse of the language ;-)

:-)

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/