Re: ISSUE-65 (excess vocab): REPORTED: excessive duplication of vocabulary

Jim Hendler wrote:
> Le me be clear, I didn't agree I liked this solution, I agreed it was
> the minimal solution under current constraints :-)
> What I do agree with Boris on is that I see no reason to allow punning
> of object and datatype properties - these are inherently different than

Well... I did meet one example. DCMI (the organization behind the Dublin
Core metadata) is having problems exactly on that. They have an abstract
model document[1] where they speak about 'value surrogate' that can
either be a literal or non-literal. When mapping this abstract model to
RDF[2] they hit this problem (eg, is the value of a dcterm:subject
property a literal or not).

_At the moment_ their terms are not yet defined in OWL, but they were
thinking about it. The strict separation of datatype and object
properties was a problem they already realized they have (they are not
really happy having two different property names for 'subject' for
example). Punning may be an answer to their concerns.

Ivan

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/abstract-model/
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-rdf/

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/