Re: RDFS 3.0 and Oracle OWL Prime (was Re: wiki page on fragments extended)

Peter- As best I can tell, Oracle has not released a formal
definition of the 11g support on their site, the sites that you are
looking at are from people looking at some of the different things
Oracle has proposed - the set I used is from their first announcement
and a presentation at the SemTech conference, which was back in
March.  If they've decided to cover more of OWL, that's great!
  Anyway, I wasn't, in your words, justifying it by claims that its
constructs correspond to Oracle, just pointing out the resemblance to
the early Oracle definition.  I think the language stands on the
other properties, which i outlined
  We have an Oracle rep on this committee, maybe Zhe Wu knows the
details
  -JH

On Nov 26, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
> Subject: Re: wiki page on fragments extended
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:48:34 -0500
>
>> Uli - I should have included the URI - it's http://www.w3.org/2007/
>> OWL/wiki/Fragments - not connected to the Tractable Fragments
>> document since I didn't think it belonged there at this point
>>   -JH
>
> This page claims that the constructs in the RDFS 3.0 proposal are
> "almost identical to those included in Oracle's OWL Prime", but the
> most
> complete information I can find
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/DatabaseAndOntology/
> 2007-10-18_AlanWu/RDBMS-RDFS-OWL-InferenceEngine--AlanWu_20071018.pdf
> indicates that OWL Prime includes hasValue, allValuesFrom,
> someValuesFrom, and complementOf which are not in the RDFS 3.0
> proposal.
> The addition of these constructs makes OWL Prime very different
> from the
> proposed RDFS 3.0.
>
> The other OWL subsets supported by Oracle also appear to be quite
> different from the proposed RDFS 3.0.  OWLSIF appears to include
> hasValue, allValuesFrom, and someValuesFrom (as they are in pD*).
> RDFS++ appears to only add sameAs and InverseFunctionalProperty to
> RDFS.
>
> So, although RDFS 3.0 may indeed be a reasonable fragment, I do not
> think that it can be justified by claims that its constructs are
> similar
> to what Oracle supports.
>

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> Bell Labs Research