Re: Datatype support implementation matrix

On 14 Nov 2007, at 17:34, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> Mike Smith and I have started gathering information about existing
>> datatype (i.e., unary datapredicate) support in reasoners. We're
>> soliciting reasoner authors to fill in the following matrix:
>>     http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pTmcCXR-dV6RpTEPxB0O-DQ
>> One thing we might consider is making some of the odder datatype
>> optional, e.g., Name and NCName. Similarly, we might be more
>> explicit about what facets are applicable, or, again, make some
>> facets optional.
>
> If a reasoner supports string and supports the facets with which
> Name and/or NCName are defined, then it should be strongly
> encouraged to support these. I tend to agree that they are not
> useful for typical semantic web apps, but in as much as the W3C
> should form a coherent whole, we should encourage SemWeb
> implementators to not wilfully not implement a part of some other
> spec.

I'm largely indifferent.

>> This matrix could help drive test case generation as well.
>> We don't collect inline vs. external datatype support. AFAIK, only
>> Pellet supports pointers into XML Schema documents. I'd welcome
>> correction on this point!
>
> Jena supports this too; I wouldn't be surprised if the Pellet
> support depends on the Jena support.

It doesn't.

>> I don't think it's as interesting to gather data about editors
>> because it's much more trivial and it's pretty uninteresting to
>> enumerate the builtin types "supported" by an editor.
>> Cheers,
>> Bijan.
>> P.S. We used a Google spreadsheet since 1) it's a heck of a lot
>> easier to manage than wikisyntax table and 2) we want reasoner
>> authors who aren't WG members to enter their own data :) We can
>> always export and script transform.
>
> What about people without a google account?

As they are free, I would suggest that such people acquire one. A
Gmail address works.

Otherwise, such people can wait until we're finished collecting the
data and migrate to a wikipage. Google spreadsheets export to a
number of different formats including .cvs, .html, and .xls, so it's
not too hard to migrate. For this sort of thing, having a
collaborative edition while getting ramped up makes things much easier.