Re: Choosing a "short name" for our working group pubs

Alan,

you (and Jeremy) probably know that but it may be good to summarize this
for those on the WG who do not know all these terms... I hope it is all
right if I do this.

To take an example, the 'OWL Overview' recommendation's so called
'dated' URI is:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-features-20040210/

the undated URI (which always refers to the latest dated URI) is:

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/

the 'short name', in that jargon, is 'owl-features'. (Note that this
appears two times in those URI-s as a pattern!)

Ie, we probably will have to choose a short name of the sort AAA-BBBB
where BBBB refers to a specific document within the family we have and
AAA is, well,... that is where the real issue is that we have to decide.
Should it be 'owl', 'owl11', 'owlXXX' or something else.

Note that if we choose a short name that already exist (eg,
'owl-features'), this essentially mean that what we produce 'shadows'
the earlier versions because, as I said, the short, undated URI always
refers to the latest version of the document.

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/