Re: What about sub property chains for datatype properties? (ISSUE-8)

Hi Michael,

there are reasons why these sub-property chains are only made up of
object properties:  decidability in OWL (DL and 1.1) relies on the
fact that "datatype consistency" can be checked for each object
separately, without referring to other objects and the values of
their datatype properties. If we would need to do this, we would more
likely be in trouble, and would need to

- be much more careful about what datatypes and datatype predicates
to allow without loosing decidability and
- use more complex reasoning mechanisms that have, to the best of my
knowledge, only been described on paper and never been implemented or
tested.

So, I can see your use case, but I don't think we know enough about
this yet.

If you want to know more, check out

Carsten Lutz and Maja Milicic. A Tableau Algorithm for Description
Logics with Concrete Domains and General TBoxes. Journal of Automated
Reasoning. To appear.
http://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/~clu/papers/archive/jar06.pdf

Carsten Lutz. Description Logics with Concrete Domains - A Survey. In
Philippe Balbiani, Nobu-Yuki Suzuki, Frank Wolter, and Michael
Zakharyaschev, editors, Advances in Modal Logics Volume 4. King's
College Publications, 2003.
http://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/~clu/papers/archive/aiml4.ps.gz

Cheers, Uli