Re: Inferring Properties based on Types

[reply to the list this time]

On 10/1/07, Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com> wrote:

[skip]

With these modifications we get the
> following set of axioms to express the above rule in OWL 1.1:
>
>     (R4) SubObjectPropertyOf( SubObjectPropertyChain(sibling manman)
> brother)
>     (A1') ReflexiveObjectProperty( manman )
>     (A3) ObjectPropertyDomain( manman Man )
>     (A4) FunctionalObjectProperty( manman )

One could possibly define a macro that would translate a user-friendly
> syntax into this set of axioms (and would generate the a unique property
> like manman for different uses).

I think this wouldn't work as expected. To be more precise, it would
silently introduce additional restrictions to the model. As the semantics of
the construction
          ReflexiveObjectProperty( manman )
is the following GCI
          SubClassOf ( owl:Thing ObjectExistsSelf(manman) )
and we have a domain of the property manman, than the (implicit) axiom
          SubClassOf (owl:Thing, Man)
would be added to the ontology. The same would happen for every other
reflexive property with either range or domain defined. So, every concept in
the ontology would be a Man (in addition to all other supertypes).

Best,
Dmitry.

Cheers,