Re: Inferring Properties based on Types

Hi Michael,
Your suggestion is a nice trick that almost works! In summary, you are
saying we can use the following set of OWL 1.1 axioms

>     (R4) SubObjectPropertyOf( SubObjectPropertyChain(sibling manman) brother)
>
>     (A1) SubClassOf( Man ObjectExistsSelf(manman) )
>     (A2) SubClassOf( ObjectMinCardinality(1 manman owl:Thing) Man )
>     (A3) ObjectPropertyDomain( manman Man )
>     (A4) FunctionalObjectProperty( manman )

to express the rule

> (?x :hasSibling ?y) ^ :Male(?y) => (?x :hasBrother ?y)

I think your set of axioms would do the trick but there is one problem.
A1 together with A4 violates the non-structural restrictions on axioms
as explained in [1]. The same property cannot be both used in an
ObjectExistsSelf restriction and FunctionalObjectProperty axiom (or any
other cardinality expression). However, same restriction does not apply
to ReflexiveObjectProperty which could be used in place of
ObjectExistsSelf in this situation. Also note that A2 is redundant since
it is semantically equivalent to A3. With these modifications we get the
following set of axioms to express the above rule in OWL 1.1:

    (R4) SubObjectPropertyOf( SubObjectPropertyChain(sibling manman) brother)
    (A1') ReflexiveObjectProperty( manman )
    (A3) ObjectPropertyDomain( manman Man )
    (A4) FunctionalObjectProperty( manman )

One could possibly define a macro that would translate a user-friendly
syntax into this set of axioms (and would generate the a unique property
like manman for different uses).

There is a slight problem with this encoding. Since we defined a complex
subproperty for the property brother, there are some restrictions on its
usage (again [1]), e.g. it cannot be used in cardinality restrictions
anymore.

Cheers,
Evren

[1] http://webont.org/owl/1.1/owl_specification.html#7