Re: Associating context with an annotation

Hi Jim,

Am 17.08.2012 19:44, schrieb James Smith:
>> As a comparison: the context model in NIF serves mainly these purposes:
>> 1. limit the things that you can say about a selection (words are highly ambigue, depending on the granularity "house" can have dozens of meanings http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/house#English-abode  ). Thus "house" in a certain context is less ambigue and can not have all readings any more.
> The oax:hasContext mechanism isn't designed to handle deciding when certain vocabularies or terms are allowed.
Not as strict maybe, but I am sure, you are planning to provide
(normative or non-normative) guidelines, when and how to use the
oax:hasContext property. This is the same to me.
>> 2. model context change, i.e. which annotations stay valid, when the context changes.
>> 3. allow to automatically reason, whether two selectors select the same thing. This means "physically" inferring owl:sameAs between the respective Selectors and SpecificResources. (immensely useful to answer queries)
>>

> These are out of scope as well. We're not trying to create a mechanism to say how two annotations are related, or if the annotation is valid or invalid. Just a way to say that the full meaning of the annotation may not be evident unless it (the target or the body, depending on which part the oax:hasContext is attached) is considered within the context provided by the oax:hasContext part of the graph.

You are loosing me here. In another email you are vouching to name the
property "hasScope", which is clearly a validity criterion such as in
"out of scope" == "invalid" .
Also I am not saying that you can infer that two annotations are the
same. I talked about the Target, i.e. SpecificResource and Selectors.
Does your idea of context help you to decide whether two targets are the
same?

All the best,
Sebastian

--