Re: Question on language tags and directionality metadata

Hi Felix,

Am .04.2020, 07:25 Uhr, schrieb Felix Sasaki <felix@sasakiatcf.com>:

> I am still involved in W3C, in the internationalization activity. Here
> recently a question came up on BCP 47, the IETF standard for language
> tags including >the related sub tag registry, and RDF approaches to
> represent information about language.
>
> In RDF, of course you can use BCP 47 language tags for literals, but
> there are valuable resources like Lexvo that identify languages via
> URIs. Often these >resources are based on ISO standards and have no
> direct relation to BCP 47. This leads also to fragmentation, for example
> since BCP 47 includes sub tags >that are not part of a given ISO
> standard for languages or regions.
>
> In this context, I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Do you know of any best practices & use cases for using URIs (from
> Lexvo or other sources) in an RDF context? By "using" I mean using the
> URIs to >identify the language of a (sub part of an) RDF graph.

This is frequently the case when working with underresourced or historical
languages. The granularity of BCP47 and/or ISO693 is simply insufficient
and the categories too imprecise for many applications in linguistics. For
low-resource languages and fine-grained language variety classification,
Glottolog is relatively widely used. ISO639-6 that could have been applied
here, is withdrawn. For historical languages, there is nothing in
existence (and the diachronic dimension in Glottolog is non-satisfactory).
In multilingual datasets, people may decide to go for URI-based encoding
throughout for the sake of consistency (many languages without language
tags). Another reason for using URIs is that these URIs are [or at least,
can be] defined and verified, whereas some ISO693 labels can be
interpreted differently (e.g., what is the difference between gmh and de?
Traditionally, Middle High German extended from 11th - 15th c, nowadays
many people prefer 11th - 14th c., so, without any more detailed
definition than provided by ISO639/BCP47, people will disagree on whether
something is gmh or de).

When using URIs, most people will probably prefer ISO639-3 because it is
more established than Glottolog, and linguistically more fine-grained than
ISO639-1 and ISO639-2 (and it doesn't need to follow the complex
composition and selection rules of BCP47). The Library of Congress
provides ISO693-1 and ISO639-2 URIs, but SIL (for ISO639-3) does not
(AFAIK). This is why we normally go for Lexvo, although it's a bit behind
ISO639-3.

> 2) Are there any recommendations like: "here use URIs, here use BCP 47"?
> For what I found, the main use case of URIs to express information
> *about* >languages as first-class objects, but not to attach language
> information to other parts of an RDF graph - see 1) above.
>
> 3) In addition to language, there is other type of metadata needed in an
> i18n context, e.g. metadata about directionality of strings. Do you now
> about best >practices for representing such metadata in RDF?
>
> 4) In an "identify language via URIs" approach, how would one identify
> the entries of the BCP 47 sub tag registry that do no have an URI?

Provide URIs via the registry.

> 5) Is there an authority for language related URIs?

ISO 639-1: Library of Congress
ISO 639-2: Library of Congress
ISO 639-3: SIL (not URIs, though)
Beyond that, everything is a matter of discussion and perspective, but
Glottolog is a good starting point.

NB: There was a discussion about revising language tags in an RDF context
(https://github.com/w3c/EasierRDF/issues/22). My personal preference would
be to permit URIs *as* language tags and to interpret every language tag
as a URI in a specific namespace (unless another namespace is declared).
This may be a little radical, but we could keep the current
(Turtle/SPARQL) notation in this way.

Best,
Christian
--