AW: MHDBDB: Connecting Senses with multiple Concepts

Dear Christian,

thank you very much for your response! Our conceptual system is already a simple SKOS ontology. A single concepts looks like this:

<skos:Concept rdf:about="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23250000">
    <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/ontologies#ConceptualSystem"/>
    <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Castle</skos:prefLabel>
    <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="de">Die Burg</skos:prefLabel>
    <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23200000"/>
    <skos:narrower rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23251000"/>
    <skos:narrower rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23252000"/>
</skos:Concept>

The not so borderline solution would be the creation of a SKOS concept for each used combination of concepts? So the first sense of hûs would look like this as an individual SKOS:Concept:

<skos:Concept rdf:about="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/sense#1234">
    <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/ontologies#SenseProperties"/>
    <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23250000"/>
    <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23309000"/>
    <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/concept#23309020"/>
</skos:Concept>

And the modified lexicalizedSense should look like:
<ontolex:LexicalSense rdf:about="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/sense#4709">
    <ontolex:isSenseOf rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/entry#2933"/>
    <ontolex:reference rdf:resource="http://www.mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/sense#1234"/>
</ontolex:LexicalSense>
Maybe we could actually benefit from those extra-layers of information. At the Moment, there is no linking between entries which share the same combination of concepts as a sense element. With that solution, all equal sense elements would point to the same SKOS concepts, but with the lexicalizedSense layer there is even a place to put information not shared by all entries but only belonging to one individual sense. So it might be acceptable not to use the blank node version preferred by you, even if there aren’t that many entries which share a specific combination of concepts as a sense.

And yes, we also need a solution for multiple POS statements. Maybe it would be the cleanest solution to add an individual ontolex:Word for each POS statement and link those entries? It leads to the question, how to define an article in the dictionary. Do entries with multiple use cases aka POS exist? Or is it better to have individual entries?

And again: Thank you very much!

Best
Peter

Peter Hinkelmanns MA
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Mittelhochdeutsche Begriffsdatenbank (MHDBDB) | IZMF
Universität Salzburg | Erzabt-Klotz-Straße 1, A-5020 Salzburg |
Tel. +43 662 8044 4339 | e-mail: peter.hinkelmanns@sbg.ac.at<mailto:peter.hinkelmanns@sbg.ac.at>
Internet: CV und Fodok<http://mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at:8300/wordpress/hinkelmanns/> | mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at<http://mhdbdb.sbg.ac.at/> | facebook.com/mhdbdb<https://www.facebook.com/mhdbdb> | twitter.com/MHD_BDB<https://twitter.com/MHD_BDB>