Re: Question: replacing language codes in a SPARQL BIND statement?

> Am 13.03.2016 um 12:09 schrieb Christian Chiarcos <chiarcos@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>:
>
> Dear all,
>
> this is a general technical question, albeit one specific to working with multilinguality issues in multiple lemon/ontolex dictionaries, hence I'm asking here in the first place.
>
> Imagine the following situation: I use the Russian DBnary (provided in a slightly extended variant of the old lemon) and an ontolex dictionary for Chalkan (with Russian glosses). Both provided by third parties, and I do not want to manipulate the data prior to querying. Now, I want to use DBnary to retrieve an English gloss for the Chalkan words in a single SPARQL query.
>
> If both dictionaries use the same xml:lang representation, this works rather well (I skip the query for reasons of brevity): I bind the Russian gloss from the Chalkan dictionary to variable ?ru and start searching DBnary for a data property that assigns ?ru as literal.
>
> It is more complicated, though, if both files use different language codes, e.g., ISO-639-3 (rus) and ISO-639-2 (ru) for Russian, or if a language code with region sub-tag is used (e.g., ru-RU). Is there any way to use, say, BIND to bind the string value of ?ru to a new variable which uses ISO-639-2 codes instead of the original ISO-639-3 (resp. ISO-639-2+ISO-3166) code?

xml:lang allows only for BCP 47 language tags, and here the options you describe (e.g. ISO-639-3 vs. IS0-639-2) are not available. So if you use a language tag validator you can at least detect that an xml:lang value is not valid.
E.g. validate
<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
     <title>Test</title>
  </head>
Via
https://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input
now validate the same with
and you get an error.
Of course in your workflow you don’t want to integrate the HTML validator as your language tag validator. But the underlying library
https://about.validator.nu/ <https://about.validator.nu/>
has a class to validate language tags on its own.

Best,

Felix