Re: vartrans module finished

Dear Lupe,

  thanks for your comments, see below...

Have a good weekend!

Philipp.

Am 03.07.15 um 17:24 schrieb Guadalupe Aguado de Cea:

> *
> *
>
> *Dear Philipp and all,*
>
> *Some typos and comments spotted. The typos in yellow, the comments in
> blue*
>
> *1. In Class:Lexico-Semantic Relation*
>
> *subClassOf*: relates exactly 2 (ontolex:LexicalEntry OR ontolex:
> LexicalSense). Blank space after the colon

Indeed, I have changed this.

> 2. In class: Sense relation: The following examples gives an example
> of a sense relation:

OK, changed.

> 3. This equivalence can be expressed at different, form an ontological
> point of view, increasingly strong ways: It seems that some words have
> been left out.

I have changed this into:

"From an ontological point of view, the translation relation can be
expressed in the following ways of increasing ontological/strength/:"

Is that better?

> 4. but the meaning are equivalent because,

OK, corrected.

> *5. Translation:*In this cases, the lexical entries might not denote

Thanks. Corrected

> 6. we do not need other machinery than introduce already above,
> Wouldn't it be
>
> we do not need other machinery than the one introduced already above?

Yes, that is what I meant. Corrected.

> *7. Shared reference:* In this case two lexical entries of two
> different languages are equivalent from an ontological point of view.
> They might not be translations in a strict sense, but the meaning are
> equivalent because, given the concepts and meaning distinctions
> introduced by a given ontology, the denotation of these lexical
> entries is the same.
>
> Comment. If we see the example with surrogate mother and its
> equivalent in German, wouldn't it be better to say *:* In this case
> two lexical entries of two different languages are equivalent from an
> ontological point of view. They might notrealize the concept
> linguistically with the same labels, but the meanings are equivalent
> because, given the concepts and meaning distinctions introduced by a
> given ontology, the denotation of both lexical entries is the same.

Actually I like it. Thanks for this. I changed this slightly as follows:

In this case, the denotations of two lexical entries of two different
languages are equivalent from an ontological point of view. They might
express the exact same meaning from a linguistic perspective, but the
meanings are equivalent because, given the concepts and meaning
distinctions introduced by a given ontology, the denotation of both
lexical entries is equivalent.

> 8. whic relates two senses that can be regarded as equivalent. This
> was also spotted by Jorge. I suppose you have it in mind

Yes, corrected already.

> 9. The following sentence is before ObjectProperty:translation and it
> seems that some words have been deleted / or added, and it is not clear
>
> Comment.Besides the classTranslation
> <https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Final_Model_Specification#Translation>that
> reifies the translation relation between two lexical senses, as a
> shortcut the model also allows to directly express the relation of
> translation between lexical senses by a propertytranslation
> <https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Final_Model_Specification#translation>that
> is regarded as equivalent to the reification:

I think the main problem here is that there was a comma missing, is it
clearer now:

" Besides the classTranslation
<https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Final_Model_Specification#Translation>,
which reifies the translation relation between two lexical senses, as a
shortcut the model also allows to directly express the relation of
translation between lexical senses by a propertytranslation
<https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Final_Model_Specification#translation>that
is regarded as equivalent to the reification:"

> 10, The*translation*property relates two lexical senses of two lexical
> entries that stand in atranslation relation
> <https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Final_Model_Specification#Translation>twoeach
> other.

OK, corrected.

> 11. In the following sentence : The*translatableAs*property relates a
> lexical entry to a lexical entry that it can be translated as
> depending on the particular context and specific senses of the
> involved lexical entries.
>
> Comment.I think I would add "relates a lexical entry in one language
> to a lexical entry in another

OK, done.

> 12. With respect to, *subPropertyOf*: senseRel
>
> *PropertyChain*: source^-1 o translation_reflex o target (with
> Translation equivalentClass ObjectHasSelf translation_reflex ).
>
> Comment.Does this axiom indicate that one lexical entry is Always the
> translation of another lexical entry in a different language ?

No, it is supposed to indicate that translation(x,y) holds iff and only
if there exists a t such that Translation(t) and source(t,x) and target(t,y)

The axiom this relates the property translation to the class Translation
essentially.

> What then, if we have: En: wildlife ( equivalent in Spanish flora AND
> fauna)
>
> Es: flora= plants and vegetation life or plant life (we cannot say
> that the equivalent is wildlife, since half of the denotational
> meaning is left out, the animals.
>
> So, would that axiom reflect this situation?
>
> 13. In relation to. zip code and the German equivalent, the sentence
> proposed by Philipp , in my opinion will suffice.
> "Thus, in spite of using different concepts as references, both
> ''Postleitzahl'' and ''zip code'' are translations of each other."

OK.

> Comment.And even more, by pointing to different concepts they could be
> considered as cultural equivalents from the translation viewpoint,
> since the organization of each culture and language (English and
> German) may be different but pragmatically they have the same
> denotational meaning

Hmmm... I am not fully sure about the implications of this sentence, but
I added it for now ;-)

> Have a nice week end!
> Lupe
>

> El 03/07/2015 a las 16:28, Jorge Gracia escribió:
>> Dear Philipp,
>>
>> Thanks for your answer. Just one comment about definitions

>> <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
>> <mailto:cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>>:
>>
>>>     * The definition of "Lexical Relation" seems insufficient to me.
>>>     Can we complete it with the paragraph that are before the
>>>     examples (or part of it)?, i.e., "By lexical relations, we
>>>     understand those relations at the surface forms, mainly
>>>     motivated by grammatical requirements, style (Wortklang), and
>>>     linguistic economy (helping to avoid excessive denominative
>>>     repetition and improving textual coherence)".
>>
>>     Well, the thing is: examples should not be part of the
>>     definition. Even more that we are sometimes debating the examples
>>     ourselves (see my email to Elena and Lupe on the issue that some
>>     of the examples given are not relations between lexical entries
>>     but between forms). This is why the examples come right after the
>>     definition but are not part of it. I think anyone needs to
>>     decided what counts as a relation between lexical entries and
>>     what is a relation at the sense level.
>>

>> In some sense the current definition "A lexical relation is a
>> lexico-semantic relation that represents the relation between two
>> lexical entries that are related by some lexical relation" is a
>> tautology, that is, does not clarify our intended meaning because we
>> reuse the notion of lexical relation to define lexical relation: "a
>> lexical relation is... a lexical relation" :-p
>> I am not asking to include the examples in the definition, but to add
>> the part containing "we understand those relations at the surface
>> forms mainly motivated by grammatical requirements, style..." to make
>> clearer the difference with semantic relations
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jorge
>>

>> --
>> Jorge Gracia, PhD
>> Ontology Engineering Group
>> Artificial Intelligence Department
>> Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
>> http://jogracia.url.ph/web/
>

> --
> Guadalupe Aguado de Cea
> Departamento de Lingüística Aplicada
> Miembro del Ontology Engineering Group -OEG
> Facultad de Informática
> Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
> Campus de Montegancedo, sn
> 28660, Boadilla del Monte, Spain
>
> Home page:www.oeg-upm.net
> e-mail:guadalupe.aguado@upm.es
> Telef.: 34-91-3367415

> Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
>
> El software de antivirus Avast ha analizado este correo electrónico en
> busca de virus.

Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
AG Semantic Computing
Exzellenzcluster für Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)
Universität Bielefeld

Tel: +49 521 106 12249
Fax: +49 521 106 6560
Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de