Re: lexicalization count

Dear John, all,

  I was to propose a number of changes to the ontolex core and vartrans
model and I had introduced them already in the OWL files. But John was
very quick in noticing these changes and pointing me to the fact that
they are not in line with the current spec. Well, I should first have
discussed these proposed changes in the list, which I am doing now:

1) I propose to introduce a property ontolex:gloss as a subclass of
rdfs:comment to allow for adding definition of senses. While one could
use rdfs:comment for sure, people will be looking for such a property.
The recent work by Roberto Navigli on transforming Babelnet to lemon
shows that people look for such a property and, if not available,
reinvent it themselves.

2) I propose to change the property contains (dom: Lexical Concept,
range: Lexical Sense) into a property called "lexicalizedBy" and the
inverse "lexicalizes". The reason is that working with the model to
transform some resources (e.g. TBX, see forthcoming email on this), I
realized that "contains" suggest a meronymic relation that need not be
there in a strict sense. It is sort of there in WordNet-style resources
where the Synset is regarded as a set that *contains* senses. However,
this treatment seems to be too specific for WordNet style resources. In
general, what I think this relation should say is that a certain
LexicalConcept is lexically expressed by a number of senses (in
different languages). Therefore, I favour the relation "lexicalizes".

3) I propose to redefine the translation relation so that it can hold
also between Lexical Entries instead of Lexical Senses. I realized that
in many cases, lexical resources abstract from the particular senses
that are translations of each other. This is the case for many bilingual
dictionaries. I propose thus to overload the translation relation so
that the following holds:

variantSource o trans o variantTarget -> translation

sense o translation o sense^-1 -> translation

where Translation \equiv exists trans.Self

Let me know your comments,

Philipp.