Re: Telco tomorrow

Dear Philipp, all:

I just had a look at the variation & translation module, and I must say,
I am not 100% happy with the classification of variants that we make.
After reading it I had the following feeling: "we are making something
easy, difficult", and I fear this may affect adoption by the
"Terminology and Translation" community, what I think we should avoid at
any price.

Some specific issues:

If we define Lexical variants as "a lexical relation between two lexical
entries or forms that represents a difference at the formal level...",
why do we need to talk about relations between lexical entries again
when defining Intralingual and Interlingual variants? It seems confusing
to me...

I also miss the use of the term "term variant" Again, people coming from
the "Terminology and Translation" community may look for it...

In summary, and maybe we already discussed this before, but allow me to
come back to it:
I would make a distinction between Lexical and Sense Variants, and then
divide Sense Variants into Intralingual (term variants) and interlingual
(translation variants).

Sorry for the brevity, but I have another meeting right now.

Talk to you later.
Best,
Elena

--