Re: input document for discussion on Friday

Guido, all,

  I appreciate your comments. Before continuing to discuss the
ontological status of a sense, let me provide some working definitions
for "Sense" and "representedBy".

Sense: meaning of a word w when intrepreted as referring to ontological
concept c.

And yes, we represent the connection between w and c through sense as a
reification.

representedBy:  this captures the relation between a sense s and some
symbol c (constant). The semantics of "representedBy" is something
like:  s is representedBy c <-> the axiomatization in c captures the
ontological commitment of s

This means that we assume that there is some ontological commitment in
words and that this ontological commitment can be axiomatized (or not)
in some ontology.

This still allows to be less or more vague. If we do not add any axioms
constraining the interpretation of a symbol, then we are maximally vague.

So, if we take the word "bald", there is sure some ontological
commitment in this word. For instance, Bruce Willis (see attached
picture) is clearly bald, while Slash (the guitarist of Guns N' Roses)
is not (see picture). So there is some clear ontological committment of
the word "bald", though in other cases it might not be that clear-cut.

Hope this makes sense and helps to clarify the notions.

Regards,

Philipp.

--
Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano