Re: input document for discussion on Friday

 Am 31.10.12 13:35, schrieb Guido Vetere:

> the model of Sense as (sub)classes that I've recommended (as is
> implemented in Senso Comune) would look like the following:
>
> ex:lemon rdf:type ontolex:Lex.
>
> ex:lemon ontolex:hasSense lemon_1.
>
> ex:lemon_1 rdf:type (ontolex:Sense AND ontolex:denotes ONLY <http://
> dbpedia.org/page/Lemon>).
>
> Of course, if you want you can introduce a named class, like
>
> mylex:Lemon_as_fruit owl:equivalentClass (ontolex:Sense AND
> ontolex:denotes ONLY <http://dbpedia.org/page/Lemon>)
>
> to have:
>
> ex:lemon_1 rdf:type mylex:Lemon_as_fruit
>
> Can we consider this as another option?

Philipp Cimiano <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote on 31/10/2012
17:24:05:

> Guido,
>
>  yes, of course, this is an option. But where do you see the
> advantage compared to directly saying that the sense is a subclass
> of the class in question?

Philipp,

I think it depends on what ontology concepts and sense, respectively,
represent in your system. If they are both representations of the same
kind of things, then maybe there's not a clear advantage in the model I
suggest. Actually, in many IT artifacts called 'ontology', concepts are
indistinguishable from linguistic senses, so I understand where the
question comes from.

On the other hand, if the ontology that you want to map with your lexicon
is intended to be a 'theory of the reality' independent from any language,
then you wouldn't say, for example, that the sense 'cat' in English is an
instance of the concept 'cat' (or a subclass) and therefore is expected to
have four legs and a tail. In other words, if you want 'Sense' to stand
for a specific kind of things, then you need to be 'multiplicative', i.e.
introduce an entity 'Sense' besides the entity you want it to refer to, in
order to keep predication on linguistic facts in a distinguished place.
Once again, if you are happy with saying that cats don't have four legs,
but they are just said to have four legs (in this view, mereology is just
another name of meronimy) then the distinction between senses and other
classes may appear to you as a useless sophistry (if not a dangerous
dogmatism).

I can provide several arguments in favour of a multiplicative approach.
One of them, as discussed some time ago, has to do with vagueness. But I
think that we should be liberal with respect to different views of what
senses are from an ontological standpoint. If I understand the discussion
we have been doing so far correctly, we agreed to reify senses, which
means, at least, having them as mediating elements in data structures that
bring words and concepts together. Let's give a shape to this structure
and allow different formal ontological interpretations for it. Then we may
discuss pros and cons of each of them.

Kind regards,

Guido Vetere
Manager, Center for Advanced Studies IBM Italia
Rome                                     Trento
Via Sciangai 53                       Via Sommarive 18
00144 Roma, Italy                   38123 Povo in Trento, Italy
+39 (0)6 59662137                 +39 (0)461 312312

Mobile: +39 3357454658

IBM Italia S.p.A.
Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
Cap. Soc. euro 347.256.998,80
C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
Societą con unico azionista
Societą soggetta all?attivitą di direzione e coordinamento di
International Business Machines Corporation

(Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)