Re: Meaning and Semiotics - Issues for Modelling

This is lengthy reply and thanks for the explanations about the tools and approach.

Some think any formalization of a lexical property can also be represented in the ontology and some think that is at least still debated how. I guess that nobody claimed so far that
a formalization of a linguistic property cannot be expressed in an ontology in OWL.

But let me try to make the discussion more bullet-wise by drawing up a (non-comprehensive) list of typical linguistic features that are normally not represented in an ontology:

1. dialect, age-group, formal, informal registers, etc....
-> probably not in OWL
2. relations between different meanings (polysemy relations) such a specialization, generalization, metonymy, metaphor ->
 -> probably not in OWL
3. morphological properties
 -> probably not in OWL
4. pronunciation
 -> probably not in OWL
5. syntax:
 -> probably not in OWL but:
- verb syntax needs to be mapped to argument structure and argument structure map to event structure in the ontology: buy and sell are variants with different syntactic mappings to the same event structure. Other examples are “teach” and “learn” (in some languages expressed by the same verb).
- Same for countability which is partially semantic and partially a form choice.
6. collocational contraints, e.g. blow your nose and clear your throat
 -> probably not in OWL
7. probability of packaging: complex concepts are phrased typically as e.g. adjective noun, compound, prepositional phrase, verb phrase, etc..
 -> probably not in OWL
8. subjectivity relations and connotations
-> partly this can be in the ontology reflected in the form of a social role but it is (usually) not done
9. social roles
-> this is a border case: it can and probably should be reflected in the ontology but it is extremely rich  and complex
10. some others: gender in many languages, politeness markers, aspectual properties....

So there is a lot of work to do to flesh this out and to make a proposal that reflects best practice

best

Piek

On Aug 11, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Aldo Gangemi wrote:

> Hi all, I try a contribution from holidays.
>
> I appreciate Piek's attempt to distinguish three aspects of the ontology-lexicon modeling. My answers are (1) that any semantic aspect of a lexical unit can be formalized (either in crisp or fuzzy logics), (2) that modeling any of those aspects can be useful in at least some task, and (3) that if we get more concepts from a lexicon, we should be entitled to reuse them in order to evolve ontologies.
> Therefore, I am totally liberal about all flows from lexicons to ontologies. I am also ready to any procedure to derive lexicons from (impoverished) ontologies.
>
> The reason why I am so liberal, is that I fully accept the consequences of adopting semiotics, the only theory that is expressive enough to consider linguistic and logical semantics as special cases. Let me explain this as briefly as possible.
>
> The core problem we are discussing is the actual nature of meaning as it is represented in NL/lexicons or in ontologies. This problem goes back deeply in philosophy, linguistics and logic, as Guido said. However, the Semantic Web does not claim to go so deeply. Then semiotics should be enough to make sense of the problem. (For those having much time, you might read my chapter in Ontology and the Lexicon, Cambridge University Press).
>
> Semiotics assumes three aspects/roles of a "sign" relation that is instantiated everytime there is an ongoing linguistic (or generally semiotic) activity: the *expression*, the *meaning*, and the *reference*. Any linguistic activity involves the use of some expression that typically gets a meaning in context, and usually denotes a referenced individual or collection.
>
> A lot of different things can play one of the three roles: I can use the string "buy" as an expression in the utterance "would I buy it again?" or in "<buy> has three letters", or as a meaning in the discourse: "what does it mean the word <comprare>? To buy", or even as a reference in the sentence "Buy is a dual concept to Sell".
>
> Now, either lexicons or ontologies contain elements that nicely distribute into the roles of a semiotic sign relation. E.g. WordNet has words (expressions), word senses and synsets (meanings), and instances (references). An ontology has labels (expressions), class and property IDs (?meanings?), individuals and facts (references), as well as "formal interpretations", e.g. class or property extensions, which would be references as well in the semiotic framework.
> There remain other strange beasts such as comments/glosses/definitions, either from lexicons or ontologies, which could be considered  expressions to be analyzed, or directly as paraphrastic meanings.

> [...]

Piek Vossen
Professor Computational Lexicology

T +31 (0)20 59 86457 |  piek.vossen@vu.nl | http://www.vossen.info |
ADDRESS: de Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Disclaimer