Re: JSON vs. JSON-LD?

> On 8 Dec 2015, at 12:24, Renato Iannella <renato@knowledgeflux.com> wrote:
>

>> On 7 Dec 2015, at 10:32 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org <mailto:ivan@w3.org>> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Is the ODRL community o.k. not to have a 'vanilla' JSON encoding as part of the deliverables as it is defined now? Or
>> 2. Should the deliverables also include a 'vanilla', non JSON-LD encoding as part of the deliverables?
>>
>> If the decision is #1 above, ie, only a JSON-LD document is produced, then, I guess, [2] should not be listed as an input document.
>>
>> The correct approach should be, in my view, to leave this question open for the WG to decide. Make the deliverables JSON and add a note that the WG will consider whether that is a JSON-LD compliant encoding or not, and/or whether both JSON versions should be standardized.\
>
> The ODRL CG has discussed this point:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0000.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0000.html>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0001.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0001.html>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0002.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0002.html>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0003.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0003.html>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0004.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-odrl/2015Nov/0004.html>
>
> The preference is a JSON deliverable, with a Context document.

O.k.

> Action: update the Deliverable title to be just “JSON"

By changing the title we do not make any commitment. Which is, at this stage, fine.

On long term, I'd hope that a simple (or not-so-simple) @context file will indeed make the trick. There may be issues around arrays (whether they are lists or not in RDF), datatypes (whether the JSON encoding would overload the same term to be usable with different datatypes), etc. I hope I am wrong and it works, I do not have a detailed knowledge of ODRL. But these are issues that will be the topic of the WG discussions…

Thanks

Ivan

> Renato Iannella
> Head of Innovation and Emerging Technologies, KnowledgeFlux
> Level 7, 100 Edward St, Brisbane 4000 AUSTRALIA +61 4 1313 2206

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/