Re: clarification needed in a case of 'constraint of a rule' vs 'refinement of an action' ?

IMHO,

I have not had many examples of constraints on rules to think about, but you can think about them as follows (Nicoletta’s diagram for context):

I see it as a cascade:

A constraint on a rule short circuits evaluation (allows you to save time if the constraint is not met without going further). I think this will be relatively ‘simple’.
For example, where the odrl:LeftOperand is odrl:DateTime or odrl:Event (time based) / or odrl:DeliveryChannel (‘location based’) , if the conditions are not met – you can say this rule is inactive.

Refining the action/target/function tells you how / what / who things can be done.
For example, an odrl:LeftOperand as above will tell you when a specific action can be performed (other actions might be listed as part of the same rule to be evaluated). I have assumed that you have (I like the term) a “State of the World” (more mundane than deontic state, but anyway, it is an input, a new State of the World - deontic state - will be the output) that tells you that for this instance of an evaluation/validation, you have (as an example, a specific) action to test from the perspective of the odrl:Assignee (you can articulate 1:1 rules for everything, but it is likely that sophistication will grow and you will group by asset/assignee, then list of actions in a rule) and you can ignore the actions listed but not performed. Otherwise, you will also have many rules to test (which can turn inefficient and hard to manage).

Not sure what level of complexity your solution will handle and your KPI, but I think you can parallelise evaluation (e.g. in C# a ConcurrentBag that separates the 4 – constraints, refinements on function/target/action – first fail, short circuit).

Hope others agree with this, as I am not yet working on the evaluator (there are other beasts to tame).

Regards,

Joshua Cornejo

marketdata

embed open standards