Re: Bravura Text as web font

I just had a quick look at the metrics of the standard accidentals and noteheads in Bravura Text to check that I’m not speaking out of turn, but it’s definitely the case that these glyphs have standard advance widths; you would need to add a quarter-space character or similar between the accidental and notehead characters to prevent them from abutting.

Different applications handle fonts with large vertical extents differently: Windows applications in particular will tend to crop parts of the glyph that fall outside the specified line height of the font. As I mentioned in the other email I sent this evening, the intention with Bravura Text is to have a line height compatible with regular text fonts.

Daniel

From: Daniel Leeman <daniel.leeman@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 20:03
To: public-music-notation@w3.org <public-music-notation@w3.org>
Subject: Bravura Text as web font
Hello,

I am a beginner with SMuFL and am trying to use Bravura Text in a web application.

I was initially having issues with the ligatures in the WOFF version. I have now switched to the OTF.

However, when I try to include accidentals with a pitch outside of the staff, they horizontally collide.

[cid:image001.png@01D6E221.046A93E0]

When I use a text application like WordPad, the horizontal spacing works as expected but the note is vertically cropped.
[cid:image002.png@01D6E221.046A93E0]
E01A E050 E01A EB96 E262 EB96 E022 EB96 E0A2

I'm not sure if I'm not using the vertical characters incorrectly, if there is a mechanism to control horizontal spacing, or if I'm unaware of something else.

Thank you

Product Marketing Manager
Phone: +44 20 3696 1811

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Beim Strohhause 31, 20097 Hamburg, Germany

President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Directors: Masahiro Ikeda, Jun Nishimura
Registration Court: Hamburg HR B 86 534 | VAT ID: DE118677139

Visit the Steinberg website<http://www.steinberg.net> or connect with us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/Steinberg>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/steinbergmedia>, Instagram<http://www.instagram.com/steinbergmedia> and SoundCloud<http://www.soundcloud.com/steinbergmedia>.
Watch our Cubase<https://www.youtube.com/cubase>, Dorico<https://www.youtube.com/dorico>, Mobile Apps<https://www.youtube.com/mobile_apps_steinberg>, Nuendo<https://www.youtube.com/nuendo>, Steinberg<https://www.youtube.com/user/SteinbergSoftware>, Audio Interfaces<https://www.youtube.com/audiointerfaces>, VST Instruments & Plug-Ins<https://www.youtube.com/VSTinstrumentsplugins> and WaveLab<https://www.youtube.com/WaveLab> videos on YouTube.