Re: [ACTION-487][ISSUE-97][ISSUE--118] HTML5 Defaults

Hi Pablo,

Am 16.04.13 10:26, schrieb Pablo Nieto Caride:

> Hi Felix, Yves, all,

You wouldn't. There is just a mismatch between the statement
"The Preserve Space data category does not apply to HTML documents in
HTML syntax."
and the fact that we are defining defaults for "preserve space". I don't
argue for any new mechanisms, we just should resolve the mismatch.

> >> That raises some questions:
>
> >> - do the mappings
>
> >> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/HTML5_Defaults
>
> >> only apply to HTML5 content in HTML5 syntax?
>
> >> - what do we say to people who want to apply the mappings for HTML4
> / 3.2 / XHTML?
>
> > I would say we only have to address the XHTML serialization for of
> HTML5 (it's called XHTML5 I think)?
>
> > HTML before 5 are out of scope.
>
> Agree in terms of testing and normative language - sorry for being
>
> unclear: do we want to give any recommendations wrt to people processing
>
> HTML that is "before" HTML5? After all, of an ITS processor encounters
>
> the "title" attribute at a "p" element" in the HTML namespace, the
>
> processor may not know whether the "p" element comes from an HTML5
>
> document or from XHTML. And people may want to have processing chains like
>
> 1) create content in a CMS in HTML4
>
> 2) convert that to HTML5
>
> 3) process it in a localization workflow
>
> I think this is what Linguaserve did actually. Having some advice here
>
> about what default processing to expect in 3) might be useful also for
>
> content creators working with 1) - no?
>
> [PNC]: Felix, In WP4 the original content of the Spanish Tax Agency is
> HTML4, they are migrating it to HTML5, which is what we finally
> process, do you mean this

Yes, that is what I meant.

> or do you mean the WP3’s part with Cocomore? And what do you mean by
> “what default processing to expect”?

By default processing I mean this:
Imagine in 1) you have HTML4 content with an "img" element. "img" has an
"alt" attribute. With current ITS2, you would need a global rule like
<its:translateRule selector="//h:img/@alt" translate="yes"/>
to express that "alt is transltable. If we assume the "alt" attribute to
be translatable by default, content creators working with 1) don't need
to create such a global rule.