Re: [ISSUE-42] Wording for the tool information markup

From: Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 16:10:28 -0400
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Cc: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>, public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org
On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 21:31 +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 2.10.2012 20:48, Yves Savourel wrote:
> >> <doc its:toolRefs="mtConfidence/file:///tools.xml#T1"
> >> xlmns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its">
> >>
> >> Would it make sense to use a different delimiter? "/" may conflict with "/" in paths.
> >
> > Hmm... almost any ASCII delimiter may also be in the path. The first occurrence is the delimiter.
> > But I suppose '|' could be used instead. It just doesn't look as graceful for some reason.
>
> We can use space as a separator here. It's safe as it can't appear
> neither in XML name nor in URI.

Space is already being used as a separator between each category/tool
item in the list, I think, as in:

its:toolRefs="category1/#tool-1 category-2/#tool-2"

Of course, since it's always lists of pairs, using space for both is
unambiguous. But I think it's harder to read, and it means you can't
use a trivial algorithm with a string-split function.

What about using "="? It feels more natural to me for this purpose,
and while it is valid (and not uncommon) in URIs, at least it isn't
guaranteed to occur five characters later. As long as the left hand
side is just an NMTOKEN, first occurrence is unambiguous.

(I actually think ":" is the most natural character, but I think
we'd be painting ourselves into a very bad corner by precluding
that from the category name.)

--
Shaun