RE: [ACTION-79]Consider consolidation of status-related data categories and process trigger

Hi Dave:

I tried to connect with you today by Skipe. Maybe, we can talk tomorrow
before meeting. I can see that what you consolidated (Data model:
ready-to-process, process-ref, ready-at, revised, priority, complete-by)
cover what is was in:

*        processRequested. Encodes the actions or workflow item requested

*        dateRequest –value: date and time

*        dateDelivery –value: date and time

*        priority –value: numeric.

Later, you mention: DaveL: consideration need to be given to process
specific attributes in the original version of the processTrigger. This is
becuase in the above form, the next process is made explicit, so assumption
related to these process specific attributes no longer apply.

I tried to understand what you said, and I can make the following comments
to yours:

o       contentType, values: MIME or custom values - This indicates the
format or the type of the content used in the content in order to apply the
right filter or normalization rules, and the subsequent processes. For
example, to express HTML we could use: “contentType: text/html: consider
consolidation with formatType or languageResource

o       contentTypeVersion values: version value - This indicates the
version of the contentType. For example, to express HTML 3.0

PEDRO>> It is nothing to do with formatType as it is now (provides
information about the format or service for which the content is produced
(e.g., subtitles, spoken text)) or languageResource (Identified what
language resource(s) are to be used for translation memory…). It is critical
for right processing of for instance every XML content field. contentType
and contentTypeVersion are intended to express if for example the content is
in HTML 4.2, Indesign CS4 or plein text

o       sourceLang – value: standard ISO 639 value - this value indicates
the source language for the current translation requested. It is different
from the sourceLanguage (provenance) Data Category , since this indicates
the language the original source text was and sourceLang indicates the
current source language to be used for the translation that can be different
from the original source - this should be considered as an attribute for
proveance

o       targetLangs - values: standard ISO values. This value indicates the
target languages for the current translation requested. (Arle: how do we
delimit the list? Is it comma separated?)

o       pivotLang - value: standard ISO value. Indicates the intermediate
language in the case is needed. Two examples: 1) Going from a source
language to two language variants (eg. into Brazil and Portugal Portuguese),
it is more cost-effective to go to one first (being this first variant a
"pivot" language) and to revise later to the second variant; Going from one
language to another via an intermediate language (eg. from Maltese into
English and from English into Irish, because there is not direct Maltese
into Irish available translation). - consider consolidation with source
language, , i.e. it is an attibute of the source language

PEDRO >> sourceLang: it is true that this has a lot to do with provenance,
but for the moment source language in provenance is defined as: provides
information concerning what language the original source text was in, not
the source language for the actual translation (independently in which
language was originally written); also pivotLang is not an attribute of
source language, but another language to go through to get the target
languages. And for any localisation processes I definitely would include
target languages. I do not understand this was excluded, that is way
probably I am missing something.

o       contentResultSource –value: yes / no. Indicates the format if the
Localisation chain needs to give back the original - is this necessary as an
attribute here or as a separate attribute

o       contentResultTarget – value: monolingual, multilingual; indicates if
the resulting translation, in the cases of several target languages, should
be delivered in several monolingual content files or in a single
multilingual content file this would require a more general purpose return
file indicator

PEDRO >> These two last about I think can fit in “the next process” you
mention which is made explicit.

In any case, I would prefer to talk about this tomorrow.

All the best,

Pedro

  _____