Re: I18N-ISSUE-246: Clarify character encoding behavior when calculating storage size [ITS-20]

Am 28.02.13 08:26, schrieb Norbert Lindenberg:
> On Feb 27, 2013, at 14:55 , Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
>> Hi Yves, Norbert, all,
>>
>> Am 27.02.13 13:50, schrieb Yves Savourel:
>>> Hi Norbert,

>>> There is certainly the case of applications that do process ITS markup and apply it to the content directly: For example a JavaScript in an HTML5 page. But there are also applications that use an ITS processor to feed the content and the ITS information to a distinct system where the information is then applied. They correspond, for example, to the "Localization Workflow Managers" described in the "potential users of ITS"[1].
>>>
>>> So I think it's important to make the distinction between the 'ITS processor' which act on the markup, and the 'consumer of ITS information' (for lack of a better name) that applies the ITS information. Both can be the same application, but they may also be separate ones.
>>>
>>> This means a storage-size constraint can be applied completely outside the original XML/HTML5 document with tools that have no relations with the ITS processor itself, or with XML/HTML5 for that matter. Examples of such applications are localization quality checking tools (like CheckMate, XBench, QA-Distiller, etc.)
>>>
>>> This is why, from my viewpoint, requiring the 'consumer of ITS information' to support UTF-8 is not important. And I was looking at the case for consumers that don't have a need for UTF-8, and whether we should really foist on them such a requirement.
>>>
>>> To answer your question "Do you really want to let systems that can represent less than 1% of Unicode advertise themselves as ITS 2.0 conformant?": Why not? If the context where they are utilized is using only 1% of Unicode, why should they be forced to support more? I see many customers that never work outside of Latin-1.
>>>
>>> This said, supporting UTF-8 is very easy nowadays and promoting its support is a good thing too. So in the interest of moving forward and of promoting better internationalization, I see no problem requiring the consumer of storage-size to support UTF-8.
>>>
>>> The only thing that bother me a little is that such conformance as well as the parts about handling errors, apply to the consumer of the ITS information, not really the ITS processor, and I'm not sure the scope of our tests can cover that.
>>>

>>> With regards to the error handling:

>>> I would favor a more practical behavior:
>>>
>>> "If the application applying the information doesn't support the specified character encoding, it must report this as an error.
> [...]

OK - as long as we don't make it an upper case MUST, I'm fine with that.
The upper case MUST could lead to question marks in the head of others
in the sense of "why don't you test this?", see e.g. slides 1-4 at
http://w3c.github.com/testing-how-to/#%284%29

Best,

Felix