issue-73 (Re: Comment on ITS 2.0 WD-its20-20121206 - NLP Interchange Format (NIF) - 1.0/2.0, Canonical XML, Unicode Normalization Forms)

Hi Christian, all,

I have spoken to Sebastian Hellmann, see below. The below has some
additional replies I had sent, but hadn't get feedback from Christian
yet (or I may have missed it).

Am 10.01.13 10:50, schrieb Lieske, Christian:

> Hi,
>
> Please find below comments/observations/questions/ideas concerning the
> ITS 2.0 working draft dated December 6, 2012
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/). Please feel free to
> contact me for clarifications if anything is unclear.
>
> The objectives of the NLP Interchange Format (NIF) -- such as
> interoperability between Natural Language Processing (NLP) tools,
> language resources and annotations, and easy conversion to Resource
> Description Format (RDF) -- from my point of view are important ones.
> Accordingly, relating ITS 2.0  - with its direction to move ITS 1.0
> closer to Natural Language Processing (NLP) - to NIF may help to
> realize synergies.
>
> While looking at the relation between ITS 2.0 and NIF in the current
> Working Draft (WD), I have come up with the observations/questions
> below. I apologize in advance if a reply to this comment may require
> that discussions which presumably already took place may have to be
> summarized.
>
> 1. Does the WD refer to NIF 1.0, or 2.0? NIF 2.0 already seems to be
> under development.
>
> 2. I am a bit unsure about the approval procedure, the official
> status, and the organizational home of NIF 1.0 (and NIF 2.0). My
> assumption is that the LOD2 Consortium declared NIF 1.0 as finished,
> and hasn't handed it over to an accredited standardization
> organization such as ISO.

Sebastian will provide NIF2.0 under a stable CCBY license and will have
it hosted with a persistence policy by University. of Leipzig. This will
not be hosting by a standards body, but the licensign will allow re-use
of NIF, and the hosting will provide stability.

Not 100% related, but FYI: Sebastian will provide - in addition to my
implementation of
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#conversion-to-nif
an additional implementation of the conversion. So we won't have to
declare this as feature at risk.

> 3. Wouldn't the ITS2NIF mapping benefit from/need the following as
> prerequisites?
>
> a. Input and output have to be Canonical XML (for XML-based formats)
>

> b. Input and output have to consider Unicode Normalization
> Forms/Unicode Equivalence (e.g. so that the algorithm does produce
> identical results for sentences that contain "Äffin" and "A\u0308ffin")

A few weeks ago I had provided an answer to normalization (which I would
like to extend to Canonical XML) - taken from
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Jan/0210.html

[

<trackbot> Created ACTION-430 - Draft text explaining

importance of Unicode normalization and best practices on

ISSUE-67 [on Shaun McCance - due 2013-02-04].

 >FS: Christian, would such a BP note also help with your concerns about
the NIF conversion? See your comment 3a at

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-comments/2013Jan/0101.html

in that you mail "have to consider". But you don't say "require", "make
a testable assertation", "provide tests" etc. Can you clarify whether a
note would be sufficent?

Also as a reply to issue-85, 3b: if your answer to my question is
"require", "make a testable assertation": why? We of course won't to be
good citiczens with regards to normalization, but why require more than
XQuery, XPath, HTML5, SPARQL ...?

]

One additional thought to this: from my implementation experience,
normalization or caniconalization are not the problem. It is white space
handling. And for this we have a note already
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#conversion-to-nif
"It is recommended to normalize whitespace in the input XML/HTML/DOM in
order to minimize such phantom predicates."

Christian, would the above resolve the three comments?

Best,

Felix